Dr. Amen’s Top 10 List for a Better Brain and Body
10. Avoid the Dinosaur Syndrome. 18 studies now say that as your weight goes up the size of your brain go down. That should scare the fat off anyone. Get to a healthy weight now to avoid having a big body, little brain, and becoming extinct.
9. Protect your brain. Brain injuries are a silent epidemic in our country and a major cause of homelessness, depression, suicide, panic attacks, school, job and relationship failure. Do not let your children play tackle football unless you don’t like them.
8. Stop thinking of alcohol as a health food. It is one of the leading causes of death and decreases brain activity, and the judgment that helps you live long and make good decisions.
7. Treat brain problems early. Depression doubles the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and chronic stress kills cells in the memory centers of the brain.
6. Avoid the 4 white powders: cocaine (brain damage and addiction), sugar (increases inflammation and addiction), salt (water retention and addiction), and white flour (spikes insulin and addiction).
5. Think of food as medicine or poison. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is associated with ADD, depression, dementia, obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The right food (lean protein, smart carbohydrates, low glycemic, high fiber, and healthy fats) can help heal your mind.
4. Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night. Decreased sleep is associated with lower blood flow to the brain and more bad decisions.
3. Exercise for both your brain and butt. Exercise works as an antidepressant and boosts brain blood flow, learning and memory.
2. Simple supplements can help boost the brain, such as a multiple vitamin and fish oil. Know and optimize your vitamin D level.
1. Make better decisions! The number one predictor of longevity is conscientiousness. The best way to decrease stress in your life is stop screwing up!
Bonus tips:Fix your gut to heal your brain. Your gut makes more neurotransmitters than your brain. If your gut is giving you problems, eliminate dairy and meat and take probiotics.
Brain envy – you have to want to have a better brain or it will never happen.